Welcome to Fancy Free! Fancy Free is an historic five bedroom Victorian cottage located on its own private island in a World Heritage site. It is located in beautiful Big Rideau Lake, the largest and most spectacular lake in the Rideau Canal system of eastern Ontario.
Fancy Free is one hour by car north of Kingston and is easily reached from the United States via the Thousand Islands International Bridge. It is one and a half hours by car south of Ottawa.
Rates for 2019 in CAD:
- $2163/week June 1-22
- $2407/week June 22-29
- $3251/week June 29-August 31
- $1872/week August 31-Oct 12
Fancy Free closes for the winter after Thanksgiving.
A non-refundable deposit of 20% is required to reserve the cottage, and a damage deposit of $400.00 is required upon rental, which is returned after the owners have had time to inspect the cottage and the telephone bill has cleared.
When your booking is confirmed, you will be mailed a package with detailed directions, maps, etc. Arrangements are made to greet all guests upon arrival and to tour the property with them, making sure they are comfortable and settled in.
- Bedrooms: five comfortable bedrooms on the second floor, decorated with country antiques, all with a beautiful view of the water, trees, and grounds of the island. Beds are dressed with light summer weight duvets and fluffy pillows. All bedrooms have fans and night lights.
- Sleeps: from 2 to 8
- Bathroom: recently renovated bathroom on the main floor with a glass tiled alcove soaker tub/shower, flush toilet, new heritage-style vanity with marble counter and set-in sink, stainless steel railroad towel rack, floored in luxurious porcelain.
- Kitchen: spacious and newly updated kitchen with built-in Bosch dishwasher, microwave, stove/oven, fridge, high quality stainless steel cookware, plus lots of counter space.
- Parking: 2 vehicle(s) with complimentary private parking on our mainland property
- New for 2016: Newly updated boathouse.
- Heating: Swedish wood stove in kitchen, plus a romantic wood burning fireplace in the living room and bedroom/bathroom baseboard heaters.
- Children Allowed: Yes
- Guests: Guests are not to exceed the cottage limit of eight people at one time.
- Smoking: For the safety of our guests and to comply with insurance, no smoking is allowed.
- Pets: Yes, with approval. Please do not allow your pets to climb onto the sofas, armchairs, or beds.
- Boats included with rental: two kayaks, three canoes and a sailboat are all included with the rental. We provide private dockage on the mainland and on the island.
- Electricity: Yes.
- Beach: There is a small sandy boat landing on the island suitable for small children to wade in with, of course, adult supervision.
- Septic system: Yes.
- Board games, books, hammock, ceiling fan and table fans for bedrooms.
- Hammocks, bbq, picnic table and lawn chairs.
- Beautiful cottage garden with butterfly-attracting perennial beds
- An 8x8' swim raft off the main front dock for more swimming fun
Fancy Free is available to rent from early June through to mid-October. Rentals are on a weekly basis, from Saturday to Saturday. We regret that we are not able to offer long weekends unless the week following the weekend is also booked.
For the safety of our guests and to comply with insurance regulations, we regret that smoking is not allowed in the cottage or on the island.
High quality comforters, duvets and warm wool blankets are provided for the beds. Rental guests are requested to bring their own linens and towels and are responsible for leaving the cottage in the same state of cleanliness and general order in which it was found.